Saturday, November 1, 2008

Top ten women of the election season

I love making lists. So, here is my top ten list of the woman who made this election season (two years!) more interesting, more compelling and better than ever before. This list is, more or less, in order of how happy the woman (and, in one case, women) made me.

1. Rachael Maddow. I am not a person who listens to radio. She has a show on Air America and was the break-out hit of that radio network. But, I first saw her in 2007 as a commentator on MSNBC during election nights. She was whip-smart and intellectually honest and funny. And really cute. MSNBC gave her a show that began in September. If you haven't watched her, check here.

2. Tina Fey. I don't think I need to say anything more. But here is my earlier tribute to her.

3. Gail Collins. New York Times columnist. (Thanks to Brian for continually asking me, "Have you read Gail Collins?") She is always sharp, funny but not (very) mean. (Unlike Dowd, who sometimes makes me laugh but almost always makes me cringe at the same time.) Check Gail out here.

4. Campbell Brown. For acting like a real journalist and insisting that "being objective" does not mean giving both sides of a story if one side is a complete fabrication. I first noticed her when she had this interview with Tucker Bounds, a spokesman for McCain. He wouldn't answer a question about Palin's qualifications and she didn't let him get away with it. But, then, she was given a show called No Bias, No Bull in which she does commentaries. They have been fantastic. She took on Arab-bashing in my favorite one. Watch here. By the way, her husband is a Republican consultant.

5. Donna Brazile. Unlike most Republican or Democratic "spinners" - she actually maintained intellectual honesty throughout the full campaign. While she never declared who she supported, I think it was clear that she had originally planned to support Clinton and after South Carolina primary changed to Obama. But, yet, she never made idiotic statements that didn't conform to the truth like, say, Paul Begala often did. If you don't know who she is, watch this.

6. Katie Couric. She really came through in her interview with Palin. Follow-up questions! What a novel idea.

7. The View. (Ok, it is four women but....) At a time where the press really wasn't going after McCain at all, they did. Watch here.

8. Kathleen Parker. A columnist for the conservative National Review. She wrote a column saying that Palin wasn't qualified and should leave the ticket voluntarily for the good of the Republican party. She had hell to pay for that column from the right - but she wrote several follow-up columns and didn't back down. Read here.

9. Hillary Clinton. This is a complicated one and deserves way more space. For now, I will just say that I do have a deep admiration for her and her accomplishments. And, because she made it a contest until the bitter end, Obama has a stronger campaign network. This is what Clinton claimed would happen and she has been proven correct. And, while Bill has been lukewarm in his support for Obama, Hillary has been great.

10. Sarah Palin. I have conflicted feelings about her, as well. If she didn't lie so much, I would actually really like her. But, I really have a problem with someone who can lie about so much so often. If you want to read all her lies, go to Andrew Sullivan's blog. But, she has sure made it one wild ride.

No comments: