Friday, October 31, 2008

Staying calm, cool and collected

Traumatized Democrats tend to worry a lot during Presidential elections, with every right. Because I have been actively involved in this election since March of 2007, I have had a lot of doubt, worry and sleep-deprived nights. But, there have been some folks that have really helped me to stay on an even-keel and I wanted to acknowledge them.

Leslie, of course. She's is just a wonderful partner and I am quite lucky to be involved with someone so much more sane than I!

In Santa Cruz, there are two other people who helped me keep the faith even in those days and weeks that looked bad for Obama: Brian and Angela. They always told me - even when I had deep doubts - that Obama was going to win. Their optimism really helped me. So, thank you two! (Is the fact that they were both recently Republicans mean that they can access optimism more easily?)

And in internet land, Nate Silver's fabulous 538 has helped me to sleep at night. He is a wonk's wonk. If you want to know what is really happening in poll-land, he is your man. While he is an Obama fan, he tries his best to be scrupulously fair. For example, yesterday there was a Fox poll that showed Obama's national lead at just 3%. Many commentators thought that Fox was "cooking the books". Silver heartily defended the poll in his "Today's Polls" from yesterday (Oct 30).

While Nate tells us truthfully that all the news isn't perfect for Obama, most of the news is horrible for McCain. Nate makes it clear that a come-from-behind win for McCain is getting farther and farther from reality. And, thus, I feel calm, cool and collected - just like our man, Obama. (How old are you if you know that I just channeled Katie Winter's ad for Secret deodorant?)

And, let's keeping working! Keep calling!

Happy halloween. Our pumpkins


No comments: