Friday, November 21, 2008

Ah, this feels better

Ok, this is now my one and only blog. I will start labeling my posts for easy searching. Thus, if you only want to read my Hawaii posts, then search under "Hawaii". I will leave my old blogs in place, of course. But, from now on, you can find me here.

So, I had a thought after yesterday's post. I want all of you to guest blog! This would take some pressure off me to continually post something, anything. What sorts of topics am I thinking about? Well, off the top of my head - I would love to read something on birdwatching, jazz singing, singing in an opera, applying to graduate school, skiing, boot camp, composting, anything about life in France, childrearing, the mortgage mess, Hawaii, classical music, growing old, marriage equity, Ruth Ginsburg, opera, bicycling, etc. Whatever is on your mind!

I hope she doesn't mind being a drafted guest blogger, but a friend wrote me an email and said in response to yesterday's post, in part (emphasis mine):
Yes, Robin you described yourself very well in the first part of your blog. As I was reading that part I was chuckling and thought that there was so much more of your personality that you were not describing. The sweet, lovable, generous, smart, fun person that I have come to know in the last 25 years. And then lo and behold in the last part of the blog you did describe all the rest of your personality. But I noticed you forgot the part about how tenacious and hardworking you are.
So, I wanted to acknowledge that her additions are true. Particularly the tenacious part. I remember a game Leslie and I once played where we had to come up with a one word definition for ourselves. You can guess my answer. When I applied to law school about 18 years ago, the essay was all about how tenacious I am. I don't have a copy of the essay here in Hawaii but I believe that this sentence was included: "Yes, I can!" I generally think of it as a positive trait but, of course, combined with being competitive, opinionated, stubborn, argumentative and quick to anger, it does have it's down side.

Hey word people - is there one word for "quick to anger"? I couldn't think of one. (Update: Lynn supplies irascible. Works for me. Now, is there a word for quick to resolution/ no anger because I do that, too.) By the way, I don't think of myself as a "word person" but it is probably hard for you all to tell this because I keep blabbering away.

(Update - in a note below, another friend mentions my compulsive honesty. That is, I don't like keeping secrets about me or anybody else. This, too, is true. So, don't tell me a secret! I personally think it is one of my better traits but I have also lost some friends because of the trait, too. My mother used to beg me: "Please, Robin, just use tact!" I would think, so you want me to lie?? No way! Seriously, I am better at keeping my mouth shut now - but only slightly....)

9 comments:

Lynn said...

How about irascible: marked by hot temper and easily provoked to anger.

And it's just a fun word to say. Sounds cute and rascally, even though I believe the 'c' is silent.

ramcduff said...

Thanks!

The B-Roses said...

That's funny- I was thinking the same thing when I read this, chuckling to myself too. Oh, and there is also your inability to keep a secret. Though, you fully disclose this, so anyone who tells you a secret does so seeking publicity...

Laura K said...

god, FINALLY! I have figured out how to leave a post on here! Have been trying for days. Good thing I am tenacious. Lame, but tenacious. Is there a word for that?

Lynn said...

I think we could refer to it in cyber speak as LBT, e.g., "OMG have you seen that new person they hired in accounting? He's pretty LBT."

Then again, LBT sounds a lot like a group with their own community center - but hey, lame but tenacious people need support, too.

Laura- for you, LBT would stand for Laura Brilliantly Tenacious, as you are not lame. I'm so glad to see you on here!

Laura K said...

LBT made me think immediately of a sandwich. Hey Robin, I might like to guest-blog about jazz singing sometime. But after Fall Quarter 2008! Why do I have to type "hersysre" to get this post published?

Laura K said...

And why are there trash cans next to my posts? Is it because I am LBT?

ramcduff said...

Oh, look - Laura and Lynn are having a funny conversation while I have been out boogie boarding, picking avocados, painting the house, building the fence and just not really posting! Thank you for keeping the blog going!

As for your question, Laura, cyberspace folks just want to know you are human cause computers are too stupid to type that word.

And, Lynn, I can get rid of your comment by hitting the trash can but what I don't know is can you? Let me know...(I would NEVER get rid of your comments though)

Anonymous said...

Ginny coming late to the train...

Has Leslie told you about my friend Ken's blog? That'll give you a great picture of everyday life in France by an expat:

http://ckenb.blogspot.com/

Also Ken's partner Walt also blogs here:

http://www.wcs4.blogspot.com/

I highly recommend both. Am enjoying your blog immensely, thanks.