Saturday, January 3, 2009

The year-end web (and tripping down memory lane)

The on-line magazine Salon offered their take on the viral videos of the year. They embedded multiple videos in an article analyzing the changing web video scene.

The website BuzzFeed, which is dedicated to tracking "viral web in real time" offered a list of the 12 biggest web stories of 2008 (through the Huffington Post.) I myself included some of these obsessions in my blog. But, I had missed some of these phenomena as they happened and I, for one, am happy to have caught up on things such as disaster girl. Who knew?

Speaking of the Huffington Post, they also have a "Big News Page" of lists for 2008. Now, I love lists. Their best youtube video list isn't my favorite. But, I did enjoy #5, "Star Wars according to a 3-year old".

And about Huffington, do you remember Strange Bedfellows? This is when Arianna was still conservative. She and Al Franken did commentary for the election of 1996 as a feature on Bill Maher's old show Politically Incorrect. She wasn't able to get her ex husband Michael to be Senator or herself to be Governor. But, her old buddy, Al, is on the edge of becoming a Senator and she finally has a real home with her very cool on-line news site. They really have come a long way, baby. What a long strange trip it has been. (Sorry for going to one ad cliche to one song lyric cliche....)

(But speaking of a strange trip), the link to Bill's old show was to my favorite episode on Timothy Leary and LSD. He gathered up three psychedelic users (plus a token non-druggie) who are non-repentant fans of the drug. It was this sort of show that led to him getting the ax from mainstream TV and landing on HBO. And, yes, Maher can be obnoxious but he can be wonderful, too.

No comments: