Monday, January 12, 2009

Bye Hilo....

Well, we head back to Santa Cruz tomorrow. Last night we had a lanai-warming and goodbye party. We thought it might rain, so we put up a canopy (thanks John and Adam!). It didn't rain but it did give the lanai the proper feel. (Without a roof, it is really just a deck).

Today we woke up to a glorious, sunny day. It was nice to see Mauna Kea one more time in all her glory.

One thing I haven't mentioned is the sound at night. Please listen to this 17 second video I took yesterday night. This is what we hear every night, all the night. It is the sound of the invasive coqui frog. There is a war on these little, horny guys (the sound is a nightly mating cry of the male coqui). They came in 1988 from Puerto Rico and completely changed the soundscape. Leslie and I like the sound, but others cannot stand it. Just a little warning for those who might want to visit us next time we come.

1 comment:

judith et matthieu said...

Hello !

I am sorry to post a comment so late in your blog!
But I just want to say that you did a great imitation to the coqui during our last call!! And I like this sound!
I hope that the time in plain wasn't to exahausted for you and Rosie!
I will write you an email soon !
Enorme bisous to Leslie, you and Rosie !
judith