Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year!

Voici the finished snowman

Aren't those girls with their slippahs so cute? (Slippahs = thongs, flip-flops, go-aheads, zories, rubber sandals - what word did you use growing up? I used thongs.)

This morning, this is what was left. Note the firecrackers surrounding our melted man.

Last night was a semi-bust at Coconut Island as the rain came back when we got there. I held on outside with Valerie for a bit.

But, I headed under cover soon after. I am talking here to our tenant, John. He and his wife, Jessica, are moving in for a year as soon as we leave. Actually, John is moving in today. We thought a period of overlap was a good idea since we are leaving him a furnished house, the car and other things. He is a swell guy and the co-head brewer for a local brewery. But, his wife doesn't come in until January 13th, the day we leave. So, we won't get to meet her - at least in 2009.

I couldn't hang on for the big fireworks spectacular that is the Hilo New Year. I just conked out at about 9:00 pm - late for me. I was semi-roused at midnight as the sound did penetrate my deep sleep, but really I missed the whole thing. Leslie, however, was forced to tend to Rosie. We had given her a chill pill that the doctor prescribed but it didn't work. Leslie then tried to get her a bit drunk with a concoction of vodka, milk and honey. It did work, eventually, but Leslie had to spend about a hour on the floor with our traumatized dog. Sorry, Leslie, that I am such a bum, sleeping through it all.

The storm seems to have finally passed and we are back to normal here on January 1, 2009. From the back yard, looking toward Mauna Kea's snow. Yes I am in my shorts and tank top and knee pads and heading off to work on the lanai....

No comments: