Sunday, January 4, 2009

I have ASPS!

I just found out (while reading a book review) that something I "have" and rather enjoy is a condition, a syndrome, a medical problem but, lucky me, can be treated. It is called Advanced Sleep-Phase Syndrome (ASPS). To wit, people who tend to go to bed around 7:30 pm and rise around 3:30 am. While I was an early riser in Santa Cruz - usually around 5:30 am or so - since I have been in Hawaii, I have fairly closely followed the ASPS model. Cool! I love having a syndrome - particularly one that I enjoy so much. (I am pretty sure that I have enough "symptoms" to also fit on the obsessive-compulsive syndrome spectrum. That, too, is quite enjoyable for me if not so much for Leslie and my friends.)

Apparently, it has a genetic link and is common in post-menopausal women (C'est moi!) and the elderly (I don't think I count yet, though certainly the evil folks at AARP keep pleading with me to join.) And, yes, there is another syndrome for night owls. It is called - you guessed it - Delayed Sleep-Phase Syndrome (DSPS).

I personally think the world has TMDS (Too many damn syndromes)

No comments: