Saturday, December 27, 2008

What rain! Quell pluie!!

After over three months living here, we actually got a real Hilo-style rain! In a 24 hour period yesterday, there was over 10 inches of rain (25 cm)! That is more rain than Hapuna - which is about 1 1/2 hours from here on the other side of the island - receives in a full year. Impressive!

And the more impressive fact, there are no puddles this morning. No mushy grass. I could drive the car on the grass without hurting it now. If there is no rain today, I could mow the grass later today! This is, of course, because all the rock is volcanic and pourous. It is so wonderful! I love Hilo!!!! At cocktail hour, we watched the rain. In this particular hour, it rained 1.67 inches (4.2 cm). As you will hear, I guessed on the video that it had rained 6-8 inches in two days. I got that quite wrong. It actually rained 13.72 inches (34.8 cm).



And, yes, here I am singing you-know-what just like Gene Kelly. (Pour mes français amies qui ne connaissent pas Gene Kelly, voyez ici.)

The storm started on Christmas Day with a mere 2.8 inches (7.3 cm). We were able to find a period with no rain to dedicate the deck.

In the night, it rained almost 5 inches (presque 12 cm). Perhaps, the gods were mad as Smiley and Ken were leaving the island to return to LA in the morning? The storm was fairly quiet, though, as they flew off. However, the rain, thunder and lightning returned in the afternoon. Smiley, sorry that you missed the finale! You would have loved it.

You might have noticed that more French is creeping into the blog. The reason is that my best French friend, Judith, is on break from school now. I know that she will have more opportunity to check my blog during this period, so I want her to see that I am considering her needs! Her English is good, but I didn't think she would understand the Gene Kelly reference and I am sure she hasn't bothered to learn by heart our stupid measurement system. Why should she? Go metric now!!

I had planned to take Christmas and yesterday off from doing the deck. The storm was nice enough to fit into my schedule. Back to the deck today! If you examine the deck closely, you will note that I still have a lot of screws to put in. I will admit that my Lanai Day 6 - Voila! was a teeny bit deceptive....

No comments: