Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Leslie's guest blog!

Aloha to all you Robin's blog-followers (say that five times quickly),

Although I have not been nearly the busy bee that Robin has been whilst here in Hilo, I too have been working on the house--mostly gardening and landscaping. Here is a video showing what I (with the help of my mom) have done to the yard so far.

On another note, this next bit is especially for blog-follower Laura Rodriguez: Last Saturday I went with my folks and our friends Casey and Bill to an open house at the Keauhou Bird Conservation Center, up near the Volcano National Park. (Robin stayed home and worked on the fence.) This non-profit organization raises endangered native Hawai'ian birds, and releases them into the wild. It's not normally open to the public, but once a year they give the public a tour of the facility. We got to see some of the birds, too, including the Palila (first picture), and the 'Alala (second photo), the native Hawai'ian crow which is now nearly extinct--there are only about 60 left, all in captivity (though they're starting to get ready to release some into the wild). We were told the 'Alala is one of the rarest animals in the world.

2 comments:

Laura K said...

Just coming up briefly for air between finals.

Wow - I LOVE what you've (all) done with the place! The grounds already look so much more...well...groundsy than they did on the first video tour I was given. Nice work on separating and relocating those palms in front of the house. The fence is great, and the planned lanai project is most impressive! Such exemplary Virgos you are.

And I, being one, too (maybe not always an exemplary one, but definitely one when it comes to my job), should get back to grading exams. I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, though, and am quite sure it is not an on-coming train.

Look for my guest blog in the next couple of weeks, when I'm on winter BREAK! I love that word!

Love to everyone I know on the Big Island.

Lynn said...

I, too, have been buried in finals! But on the other side, as a student at City College. Otherwise, I would be commenting way more on the blog, which is full of fascinating posts!

I second Laura's comments. Your house and yard look great! I really cannot wait to join you for cocktails on the lanai. Excellent work on all fronts. Very impressive.

Love the bird photos and the video where Leslie points out the little stone wall she's building and the home of the future water feature.

Ooh, my secret code word is rather embarrassing today. I really wish my random assortment of letters wasn't: dicsk.

Love to you all.