Sunday, December 14, 2008

The Dancing Bird and Science

So do you know the internet sensation Snowball? It is a dancing bird. You really need to watch for only 10 or 20 seconds, because the bird has very limited moves if great enthusiasm. But, it was interesting to read today in the New York Times Magazine's 8th Annual Year in Ideas issue (look under Avian dancing) how Snowball is adding to a scientific understanding of where the ability to dance comes from in humans (and now birds). We await dancing dolphins. If you aren't familiar with this annual issue of the magazine, I would like to recommend it to you. Just slide through it looking for things of interest. I always read every word....
(Update: I was having trouble navigating the issue. But, it you click on the arrow at the top right, you can slide through the issue. Clicking on the alphabet didn't work for me, but it could be a temporary problem.)

2 comments:

Leslie Karst said...

He (she?) reminds me of myself dancing. If it were me, though, I know from experience I'd have a very sore neck the next day. I think he looks like a punk dancing to the Sex Pistols with that haircut...I mean crest.

signed with my secret name,
girum

Lynn said...

Makes my legs and neck hurt just watching!

Re NY Times Magazine - YES! I loved reading the ideas. So far, my favorite is by those grad students who calculated if one should continue waiting for the bus or just start walking. If your final destination is a mile or less and the bus runs every 30 minutes, you should probably just walk. Otherwise, always wait for the bus.

Love,
Cyclatt