Friday, December 19, 2008

If you like construction...

...well, then, the next month of posts might be interesting to you. If not, oh well! It is just that I am going to be doing the deck (lanai in Hawaiian). When I do a project, I tend to be obsessed. Now, I do have plans for a couple of volcano-related posts. So, watch for those. And perhaps I will get the energy to put on a picture here and there of something else. But, beyond that, I think it will be a whole lot about the lanai.

So, let's get started!

Here is a computer sketch of the lanai. I will be adding another section of the lanai to the right next time I come. But, I will not be coming next year though Leslie and her folks will be. Leslie and Smiley both really, really want a lanai for the next visit. So, voilà, there will be one. I put a few of the decking boards in the sketch over the structure to show the layout of them. The kitchen door will open onto the lanai.
Yesterday, the deck materials were dropped off at 7:30 am. (One of the many great things about Hawaii is that you can drive over a wet lawn without harming the grass. )

The hardest job of the day was taking apart the pallet that the supplies came on . They attached six 16' 2x6 boards to six 2x4s with a ridiculous amounts of nails. Since I can use the 2x6's in the future, I didn't want to just hack them up. I don't own a crowbar here and it wasn't worth buying one just for this. But, between my hammer and my sawzall, I did get it done. But, it was about 80 degrees out and I was sweating buckets...

No comments: