Thursday, October 30, 2008

I reveal to you my choice for President 2016

So, everytime I see Palin, I think about All About Eve. Apparently, this is not a unique thought as I googled "All About Eve and Sarah Palin" and found that lots of bloggers have mentioned the similarity. For those not familiar with the plot, essentially Eve is an aspiring actress who quickly claws her way to the top by befriending, then discarding, people who help her along the way. This has been Palin's repeated pattern as well. Believe me, she is never going away!

To be more generous to Palin, her rise to the top has a lot of Legally Blond in it, too. (This thought is also not unique. Yes, google told me so.) The Elle Woods character, played wonderfully by Reese Witherspoon, is out of her league at Harvard, but because of supreme self-confidence and native smarts, she triumphs. There are a lot of people who think Palin is dumb. I am not one of them. She is clearly bright, just not well-educated or informed on most national or international topics (yet). But, she will be cramming and will certainly be ready for her close-up in 2012.

Speaking of movies, earlier in the election cycle, I really thought that Clinton and Tracy Flick, the lead character in the movie Election, (also played by Reese Witherspoon) had a lot in common. So did Slate magazine, who created this video to show the parallels between the two frustrated candidates.

Which brings me to my pick for the next Governor of California (and future President of the United States): Reese Witherspoon. Think about it. A combination of Tracy Flick/Elle Woods (with a little June Carter Cash thrown in to get those pesky "real American" votes) would be unstoppable. California likes to vote for movie stars with limited qualifications. Before becoming Governor, Reagan's experience consisted of being the President of the Screen Actor's Guild; Schwarzenegger's experience consisted of being chairman of the President's Council on Physical Fitness and Sports.

So, what has Reese done? She is actively involved in children's and women's advocacy organizations. She serves on the board of the Children's Defense Fund (CDF), and was named Global Ambassador of Avon Products in 2007, serving as honorary chairman of the charitable Avon Foundation. Certainly that is enough for California.

Reese owns a film company called Type A Productions. I think this tells you that she is driven. She can clearly act, having won an Oscar for her portrayal as June Carter Cash. She is good-looking, which is always a plus. Her favorable ratings would be sky high, as she is well-loved by movie goers. She is smart (she was attending Stanford when her career took off and is "on leave"). She is an active Democrat - working for Obama this year.

Looking down the road, I am seeing a Palin-Witherspoon match in, say, 2016. While she lives in California now, her roots are Southern. She was born in New Orleans and was raised in Tennessee. Witherspoon already has way more international experience than Palin. She lived in Germany when she was young as her Dad was in the military. She has actually traveled around the world advocating for woman (the Avon global ambassador thing.) Here is one example. She's bona fide!

I look foward to the Palin/Witherspoon debate. And, yes, I think it is safe to say that this is a unique thought. But, I think it is a damn fine idea. Let's get the ball rolling: Witherspoon for Governor 2010! And President in 2016!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How funny... I recently met Reese Witherspoon because I turned out to be a top 10 fund raiser in the SF Avon Walk for Breast Cancer this year. She gave me a medal. And she has charisma, big-time!