Thursday, September 17, 2009

Mary Travers

My first crush died yesterday: Mary (as in Peter, Paul and...) I didn’t even know she was my first crush until I was an adult and watched her sing and realized my third grade reaction to her was to be turned-on. At that age, you don’t have the knowledge to know exactly what those feelings are, right? But, now, I know that she was so hot! She had that trademark hair style with those bangs which she used continually to great effect – a little head snap and those bangs would fly up. The more intense her singing, the better the hair effect. Now, I am not a bangs lover in general. But, her use of bangs was something else. But, it was a lot more than her use of hair. She had a great, expressive voice, great lips and lots of passion in her voice and in her life. And her voice blended beautifully with Peter and Paul's voices.

Here is a link to a song, Jane Jane, that only PP&M fans will know – but it shows what I am talking about. I just found it hard to take my eyes off of her. (You Tube took down the best hair-flipping when her bangs were most involved, but this works well enough to give the idea.)

I have seen P,P&M in concert – what – 5 times? 10 times? Many times. They always put on a great show, even if Mary really didn't have the voice in her later years. The first time I saw them (with my parents, who were also big fans) was particularly memorable because I got to meet her. They would come out after a concert and sign autographs until any fans who wanted them had gone home. It was one of the big thrills of my lifetime when Mary turned to my mom while she was signing the picture below and said: “Don’t I know you?” Oh, that made my year.

She dedicated her life to song and social justice. Her passion for the music, for people and for hopes for a better world always came through.

Being weird and a control freak, I have already recorded my “death music” along with notes explaining my choices for the memorial service I assume someone will throw for me. (I know that I am just a tad audacious at times.) One of the choices is And When I Die

To quote my notes (and I hope you don't see these notes again for many a year).
This song by Laura Nyro (who died of ovarian cancer at age 50) reflects my own view of death. Really death is just a chance to celebrate the life cycle, so party down! (But, I swear there ain't no heaven or hell.) Peter, Paul and Mary, who were my first musical passion, sing the song.
So, as Laura Nyro wrote: there's a world to carry on – but let’s do it with some of the love and passion and hope that Mary had for the world.

No comments: